Re: 32-bit Kernel on 64-bit CPU?

On Friday, January 18, 2013 11:13, "Andrei POPESCU" <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> said:

> On Vi, 18 ian 13, 10:26:10, craig@gtek.biz wrote:
>>
>> I used the i386 net install image, and selected the (if I remember correctly)
>> i686-3.2.0-4-pae kernel. Are you saying that should have installed the 64-bit
>> kernel or that I got the 32-bit kernel I did't realize I was asking for?
>
> The 686-pae kernel is 32-bit, nothing strange here.

And that is what I unknowingly asked for, so all is good here.

> However, in your OP you mentioned not being able to allocate more than 2
> GB with qemu. Unless this is some limitation of qemu it should have
> worked with the -686-pae kernel, which is why I thought the installer
> got the -486 (non-pae) kernel for you (which would have been a bug).

I seem to recal the -486 kernel being an option, one of five or six that
I could choose from. But it was also a 2.6 kernel, I think.

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry for causing the confusion.

I haven't been able to find a clear answer for why I would not have been
able to allocate more RAM, but I did see one thread that seemed to indicate
32-bit addressing could be a cause. That is what started me down that path.

This could also just be a result of the learning curve I need to go through
to learn qemu. We'll find out in a bit I think. I had wanted to experiment
some on my home system but haven't had time. I'm at the point here that it
would be a big help if I could build some VMs here without fear of tearing
up a needed system. I've gotten it working with qemu-kvm on one of our
CentOS servers, but it is remote and I'd like to do away with the network
lag and the possibility of being cut off if we have network issues during
an upcoming cable run.

Sent - Gtek Web Mail