printer-driver-foo2zjs and udev

Hi all.

On Debian Testing I'm unable to make working an HP Laserjet 1018 after a
big upgrade, after a lot of time without accessing the system.

After a lot of tries, I just figured that, if I turn off the udev
service when I power on the printer, then I can use the script
"hplj1018" to upload the proprietary firmware to it and then, make it
working, but in the usual scenario, with all the services started and so
on, I'm unable.

After a little debug onto the hplj1018 script, I see that, when udev is
started, the command "usb_printerid" doesn't return the expected output
to the script, and it can't upload the firmware.

In addition, I saw that printer-driver-foo2zjs package contains some
udev rules. It's likely if the hplj1018 script will be run when the
printer is detected at power up, but it doesn't work (or it doesn't work
on the expected way).

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

In addition, I'm testing all that stuff from a remote location, so I
don't have access to the printer to power it off and on, so the testing
is difficult. Do you know some way to "simulate" the connection and
disconnection of the USB device related to the printer? It will be nice
to do it without calling by phone.

Thaks in advance