Re: Where does $MAIL get set?

Following up to myself here, hoping that someone can help with one final
problem I've run into.....

David Guntner grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
>> On Mi, 09 ian 13, 11:32:02, David Guntner wrote:
>>> and then an "echo $MAIL" it has the correct value.  It's almost like
>>> somehow logging in via the KDM manager (again, haven't tested with GDM
>>> since I don't use Gnome, so I don't know if the problem is repeatable
>>> there), it misses that part of the PAM authentication/setup or otherwise
>>> just doesn't bother to pass that variable along.  So I ultimately did
>>> have to create a file in /etc/profile.d that sets $MAIL and exports it.
>>>  Now, even when logging in directly to the GUI, "echo $MAIL" shows what
>>> it should. :-)
>>
>> kdm, gdm and friends user their own pam configuration. You probably want
>> to adjust /etc/pam.d/kdm as well.

Ok, so I have put the "dir=" into all the regular files, login, su, kdm
(don't use gdm, so nothing to put there).  Everything is working,
*except*.....

If I ssh in from another machine. :-(  I've verified that I get the
value of $MAIL set to what I've put into pam.d files when I login via
the display manager for the GUI interface, and if I login to a console
terminal (alt-F1, etc.) it is set find there, too.

However, when I ssh into my account from another machine, the value of
$MAIL has been set to /var/mail/$USER again!  Argh!

I've checked my sshd_config file, and it has "UsePAM Yes" set in it.  So
does anyone have any ideas why a ssh session is ignoring the settings
I've specified and is still using the old default value for $MAIL?

TIA!

                  --Dave