Re: Installing Debian on an SSD

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Grześ Andruszkiewicz wrote:
> Does the Debian installer work out of the box for SSDs?

Wheezy 7.0, yes.  Squeeze 6.0, no.

> I.e. I heard that you need to align the partitions to 32bit virtual
> clusters (is it actually true?).

The Wheezy 7.0 installer will do the right thing automatically.

Earlier in this mailing list there has been much discussion about
partition alignments because people see what looks like wasted space
but is there specifically to work with the new advanced format
partitioning.  It will work fine.

> Are there any other things I need to take into account while
> installing Debian on SSD?

No.  You can install and use it and never know the difference.

Optionally however there are some changes that you _may_ make to to
improve performance.  But it will also work acceptably well (you won't
notice) without doing anything.  (But adding "discard" to ext4
filesystems may improve performance by making the trim command
available.  I haven't done it because I am still running Stable
Squeeze 6.0 on my SSD.)

There is a wiki page with various information.  It is probably more
information than really needed.  It has seen a long evolution of edits
to get to this point in time.  I think I would ignore about half of
it.  The problem is research each item and deducing which half.

  http://wiki.debian.org/SSDoptimization

This page, as you pointed out, is more than a guideline. Can someone please
polish this up a little bit? That would be a wonderful and appreciative.

Bob