Re: Installing Debian on an SSD

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Earlier in this mailing list there has been much discussion about
> > partition alignments because people see what looks like wasted space
> > but is there specifically to work with the new advanced format
> > partitioning.  It will work fine.
> > [snip]
>
> I'm the one who started the discussion.  Can you elaborate on the
> details of why the "gapping" is needed?  Or a reference link would
> be even better.

As far as I know all SSDs use the Advanced Format 4k sector size.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_format

And therefore need to be aligned properly to avoid wasted block
reads.  I don't have a list of known good references but searching
just now turned up these that seemed interesting and useful.  YMMV.  I
am sure I missed many other excellent references.

  http://blog.nuclex-games.com/2009/12/aligning-an-ssd-on-linux/

  http://lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sure-your-partitions-are-correctly-aligned-for-optimal-solid-state-drive-performance

  http://tytso.livejournal.com/2009/02/20/

Bob