Re: New wheezy and problems setting up alsa for mpd

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 12:14:42PM +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> On 9 January 2013 03:07, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> > As I have no experience with mpd (yet) I don't know what may be causing
> > this, but ...
> >
> > * Can you play local files with mpd/ncmpcpp?
> >
> No
>
> > * Can you play streaming radio on mpd from another url?
> >
> No
>
> > * Is it only the mpd/ncmpcpp combination, IOW, what about trying another
> >   client.
> >
> As the client is only the front-end for mpd, and mpd itself isn't
> working then no other client works, and I've tried several.
> I've also done this ;-
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Generic        ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
>                       HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb44000 irq 43
>  1 [Generic_1      ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
>                       HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb40000 irq 16

What about:

aplay -l

> This is from the mpd log ;-
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM Generic_1
> Jan 09 12:05 : output: Failed to open "MPD ALSA" [alsa]: Failed to open
> ALSA device "Generic_1": No such file or directory
> Jan 09 12:05 : player_thread: problems opening audio device while playing
> "Ave Maria - Sacred Arias and Choruses/01 Various - Bach - Jesu bleibet
> meine Freude.mp3"

Googling:

mpd 2 sound cards
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 122,000 for mpd 2 sound cards. (0.35 seconds)

In particular, this post looks interesting.

> Which leads me to think that mpd isn't finding the sound card, but I don't
> know how else to enter it.

Let's hope its in one of those google posts, the other people who use
mpd are keeping suspiciously quiet. hint, hint hint :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X