Re: Using wheezy or squeeze.

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 09:02:35AM +1300, Aidan Gauland wrote:
> rodrigo tavares <rodrigofariat@yahoo.com.br> writes:
> > I have used debian 6.0 squezze, and some packages is old, since the
> > wheezy, have a packages new version.
> > I need to install a mail server with potfix, LDAP, e Cyrus IMAP. I
> > want install version Cyrus 2.4, is in squeeze is 2.2.
> >
> > Can I to trust in Wheeezy?
>
> If there are only a few packages you need from testing (wheezy), you
> should not upgrade your entire system to wheezy and instead only get the
> newer packages you need.  First, see if they have been backported to
> squeeze: <http://backports-master.debian.org/>. If they're not in
> squeeze-backports, get the Debian source packages from wheezy and build
> them on your squeeze system.  I'll let someone who is more familiar with
> the Debian packaging tools instruct you on this, but BE SURE TO VERIFY
> THE SIGNATURES OF THE SOURCE PACKAGES!

Don't worry too much about this. Debian Backports fully supports
secure-apt (that is, you add a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list and
apt-get/aptitude will warn you if there is a problem with signatures).

As to the original question, I would suggest installing wheezy NOW on
your test server. You will probably want some time to configure and test
the server before deploying it in production. Wheezy will be going
stable soon (a couple of months is the last estimate I heard) so you
should be fine there.

This is the whole point of the testing distribution, AFAIUI. You run
'stable' on your production server and 'testing' on your development
server. You do your development and testing of the newer version on your
development server and when that distribution is released, you're in a
good position to update the production server with minimal impact
(because you already know how the changes will impact your userbase).
The production server then remains with a relatively fixed set of
software.

Apologies if this sounds like teaching you to suck eggs.