Re: Icedove hangs on opening in Squeeze -- problem installing packages with apt-get?

kenslists <kenslists@teksavvy.com> writes:

> I have a Lenovo R61 laptop with Squeeze newly installed.  The version of Icedove installed is 10.0.11-1, which is apparently the latest available in Squeeze.
>
> <snip problem I've no clue about>
>
> Another phenomenon occurs whenever I install packages with apt-get.  At the end of the process lines like the following appear:
>                                  -------------------------------------
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
> cryptsetup: WARNING: target sda8_crypt has a random key, skipped
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device
> E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 gzip 1
> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686
> dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>                                       Processing triggers for menu ...
> Processing triggers for python support ...
> configured to not write apport reports
>  initramfs-tools
>                           ---------------------------------------------------
> sda8_crypt is the /tmp directory which is secured with a random key.
>
> The rest I do not understand, except that it indicates to me that whenever I run apt-get install or dist-upgrade something is not working properly.

You've run out of disk space for the /boot filesystem.  Look at the
output of "df -h".  Check for old kernel packages that might be filling
up /boot, and uninstall packages corresponding to older kernels that you
are no longer using.

I've no idea about the message mentioning sda8_crypt.  Do you always get
this message, or is it new?

--
regards,
kushal