Re: Installation

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 02:26:11 AM Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 04:12:31PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > Okay, I agree the user does not need to hold a MS in Computer Science as
> > a previous requirement for installing an OS and managing a computer.
>
> But an MS in Astronomy (Astrophysics?) won't help you build a telescope
> either. Remember, a computer is to Computer Science as a telescope is to
> Astronomy.

Thinking on this, a computer is to Computer Science as a computer is to
Astrophysics. In fact, computers have become the basic tools of many
disciplines: entertainment, automotive design and operation, mechanical
engineering, civil engineering, electronic engineering, astrophysics, several
aspects of medicine, law enforcement, civil governance, navigation, and
subterranean resource exploration to name a few. CS professionals are the
'tool & die' makers of the virtual world.

System installation should be as automated as is possible. In fact, the
installer should ask as few questions as possible. One such question might be,
"Where are you?" Suitable answers might be the person's
city/village/state/county/country, zip/postal code, lat/lon, or something like
"near Lyons, France". Combining the answer and the answer's language with the
automatically-obtained IP address should allow the installer to deduce correct
settings for many of the questions currently asked. But that's a lot to ask, I
guess.