Re: ntpd crashes.

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 02:08:19 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2012, at 6:51 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Anyway, no NTP daemon should crash because of skewed time; one thing is
>> that it refushes to sync (which can be fine, and should log this fact
>> so the admin can make the proper measures) but a different thing is
>> completely killing the service.
>

> Hi Camaleón!  A bit of NTP history:
>
> That issue has been argued on the NTP developer mailing lists. Crashing
> the daemon is Dave Mills' way of telling the admin that something is
> badly broken here and needs to be fixed.  Several developers (myself
> included) disagreed with him at the time, but he was adamant on the
> subject.  So that's the way it is.

Wow... I didn't know about the reason "in behind", thanks. Needless to
say I also find it a bit radical measure for dealing with a problem.
Should we also evaluate a kernel error in that way, no system would be up
for more than... a week? :-)

Either way, ntpd provides some options to conciliate with severely skewed
time which can help to prevent (or mitigate) the daemon to crash.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón