Re: ntpd crashes.

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 05:08:19 AM Rick Thomas wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2012, at 6:51 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> > Anyway, no NTP daemon should crash because of skewed time; one thing
> > is
> > that it refushes to sync (which can be fine, and should log this fact
> > so the admin can make the proper measures) but a different thing is
> > completely killing the service.
>
> Hi Camaleón!  A bit of NTP history:
>
> That issue has been argued on the NTP developer mailing lists.
> Crashing the daemon is Dave Mills' way of telling the admin that
> something is badly broken here and needs to be fixed.  Several
> developers (myself included) disagreed with him at the time, but he
> was adamant on the subject.  So that's the way it is.

I must agree that that was a somewhat braindead decision. 'Failure by design'
is never an valid option.

If a problem is important enough to require an admin's attention, a daemon
should demand it via the console and the system logs. Nag repeatedly and
incessantly until the problem is corrected. Interrupt booting until the admin
has acknowledged the problem. But never fail silently.