Re: Installation

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 22:42:03 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
> (...)

>>> That's absurd. You are not going to install an OS in the middle of
>>> nowhere, dude, so you print the manual (or just the sections you are
>>> interested in) and you can read it while installing.
>>
>> 1.) I don't have a working computer to find and print manuals with.
>>     First I need to install Debian (or have that working system).
>
> (...)
>
> Then you better stop here and solve this step before going any further or
> your chances for a complete failure will increase (in the event the
> installer gives you any problem or you don't know how to proceed you will
> have to either a) abort or b) blindly choose. None of the above options
> will give you an optimal result.

Well, if you give me the money to buy another computer that has an OS
pre-installed first and a printer, then I can solve this problem by
buying them --- if I have the room to set up all the hardware somewhere.
There are even people who use laptops because they don't have the room
for a computer.

Do you expect me to move to a larger apartment so that I can install
Debian with an optimal result?

>> It's absurd to assume that people have another working computer at hand,
>> that they know what manuals to print in advance ...
>
> No, it's not. I find quite normal to expect a minimal working environment
> before installing any operating system. Otherwise it would be like saying
> you don't have a power outlet to connect your new frigde yet still you
> want it delivers ice cubes.

What you are saying is that I should get a working fridge first that
delivers perfect ice cubes before getting a fridge that could deliver
ice cubes because otherwise my chances of successfully getting the
fridge to deliver perfect ice cubes optimally are greatly reduced ---
because it's too difficult to figure out how to put the water into the
fridge without a working fridge to learn from.  And if my kitchen is too
small for all the fridges, I have to move to another place first so that
I have a larger kitchen.

Tell that to the customers walking into your shop that has fridges:  How
many fridges do you think you will sell?  I guess your customers will
have a hard time not to laugh at you and go to another shop
immediately and think you're being absurd.

We aren't really talking about fridges, are we?  That you need a working
computer to install an OS on another one is something new which has
become increasingly necessary over the last 12 years or so, and it has
been annoying me ever since.  It wasn't like that before, and I say it
shouldn't be like that --- and it certainly shouldn't be turned into an
expectation.  It simply shouldn't be needed at all.

Since I don't know a better solution, I'm suggesting that users should
have a working system before and during the installation.  This seems to
be already available, so I don't see much point in this discussion
anymore.  Just use the available solution.

In case it's not a good solution, we might discuss it here :)

--
Debian testing amd64