Re: ntpd crashes.

El 2012-09-16 a las 00:17 +0200, Mauro escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 15 September 2012 16:47, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 15:43:04 +0200, Mauro wrote:
> >
> >> I think ntpd crashes are because my server lost time.
> >
> > How can that be? If ntpd daemon is running, the server has to be synced
> > and showing the right time. And in the event the time is too much skewed,
> > ntpd shouldn't crash but left the time unsynced and registering the error
> > at the logs (check if adding "-x" argument to ntpd helps here).
> >
> >> I have ntpd in two server, now I've seen that in one of these ntp
> >> crashes and the time of the server is 1 hour forward. That's why ntp
> >> crashes: server time goes 1 hour forward and ntp can't resynchronize so
> >> it crashes.
> >
> > IIRC, you mentioned that after the crash, ntpd could be restarted again
> > without problems. If that's true, it means at the time ntpd daemon is
> > started, the time of the server is still close to a good enough for ntpd
> > can be launched without manual corrections.
> >
> >> Now I don't know why my server time goes 1 hour forward.
> >
> > Becasue ntpd crashed?
> >

> Then for me it is a great problem because there are no reasons for
> ntpd to crash.

Sure, there's no single reason for a daemon to crash (their normal
status should be "running" unless you tell otherwise :-P), a crash is
something that needs to be investigated in deep but with debug flag
turned off an no other insightful logs, that's hard to achieve.

> In one of my two cluster nodes ntp crashes only in the second node.
> The nodes have the same hardware and the same software so I don't know
> why ntpd crashes always in the second node.

Try by appending the "-x" argument at the "/etc/default/ntp" file from
the server that crashes. If your thoughs are correct, this could mitigate
the time difference.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón