Re: ntpd crashes.

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 15:43:04 +0200, Mauro wrote:

> I think ntpd crashes are because my server lost time.

How can that be? If ntpd daemon is running, the server has to be synced
and showing the right time. And in the event the time is too much skewed,
ntpd shouldn't crash but left the time unsynced and registering the error
at the logs (check if adding "-x" argument to ntpd helps here).

> I have ntpd in two server, now I've seen that in one of these ntp
> crashes and the time of the server is 1 hour forward. That's why ntp
> crashes: server time goes 1 hour forward and ntp can't resynchronize so
> it crashes.

IIRC, you mentioned that after the crash, ntpd could be restarted again
without problems. If that's true, it means at the time ntpd daemon is
started, the time of the server is still close to a good enough for ntpd
can be launched without manual corrections.

> Now I don't know why my server time goes 1 hour forward.

Becasue ntpd crashed?

> Hwclock --debug says that the time is correct, it is set on UTC, so why
> sometimes it goes forward?

Virtual machines do suffer from time sync issues so maybe a clusterized
environment can also be affected somehow :-?

> Perhaps a problem in the cmos battery?

You can change the CMOS battery to see if that makes a difference but a
death or bad battery would also have caused additional side effects such
as motherboard settings restoring to defaults values which is not the
case.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón