Re: Installation

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 21:17 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> Since Squeeze I think that Debian has removed itself from this market.  The
> main repository and kernel contain only FLOSS software.  I.e. many drivers
> are missing and have to be separately installed.  This is beyond a total
> newbie, and I think could not be rendered easily attainable by attaching a
> set of instructions.  So sadly, I have come to the conclusion that I must
> recommend e.g. Linux Mint if any newbie who wishes to self-install were to
> ask me for my opinion.

A serious issue for all Linux distros are codecs. We're living in the
media age, consumer need codecs. http://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs
Last time (02 Sep 2012) I tried to upgrade my AV Linux (Debian stable),
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg should be automatically removed. I didn't notice a
replacement that should be installed. Conflicts caused by codecs (just
one issue) are an issue for most distros I know.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: For producers those codecs are less important, but Linux distos for
producers usually by default ship with those codecs.