Re: Installation

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:03:30 -0700, Weaver wrote:

> On Sat, September 8, 2012 8:51 am, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> The reason they don't is the install procedure.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> I think it's not that easy.
>>
>> First, because "untechie" users neither have to install Windows nor
>> MacOS as both usually come along with the computer in a pre-installed
>> form thus they only have to provide some basic data.
>
> Yes, a couple have made this point, but from my own personal experience,
> it's not the case.

You mean you got your linux preinstalled within you computer? That would
be nice but I'm afraid not the norm :-)

> I am not what you could call 'financially endowed' and always obtained
> older and, in many cases, in complete boxes. I couldn't afford the brand
> new OEM boxes, so always had to install Windows, when I used it, myself.
> I had to buy that.

That's a different user case. But then, Windows installation is not that
straight-forward because you may have to provide some basic drivers (for
the storage controller) and manually partition the hard disk, choose the
file system to use, etc.

> From memory, it ran itself.

I really doubt it.

> There were perhaps a couple of questions that didn't require reference
> to Einstein, but that was all.

Not the questions the "joe" user is able to provide without help.

> Nothing anywhere near as complex as an expert Debian install, which is
> what I prefer now.
> Not to the point of being one of the 'High-Riders', but I'm getting
> there. Regards,

Well, it would be more fair to compare the Windows installer with Debian
grahical installer that is the deafult. And of course, not with the
expert installer; as its name indicates, is not for beginners ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón