Re: Random display freezes [was: Less responsive input...blind-typing]

* Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [120613 14:22]:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2012, John Magolske wrote:
> >     BATT_HD_POWERMGMT=1
>
> Yikes, that kills HDDs!
> [...]
> Your HDD will be MUCH happier with a value of 254, unless you're into
> kicking the crap out of your box (when a value of 1 is much safer, since
> the HDD will race to unload heads and thus chances will be higher that
> the heads will be better secured against sudden impacts).
>
> >     A low value means aggressive power management and a high value
> >     means better performance. Possible settings range from values
> >     1 through 127 (which permit spin-down), and values 128 through
> >     254 (which do not permit spin-down). The highest degree of power
> >     management is attained with a setting of 1, and the highest I/O
> >     performance with a setting of 254. A value of 255 tells hdparm to
> >     disable Advanced Power Management altogether on the drive
>
> Aggressive power management causes laptop HDDs to unload heads way too
> often, which greatly reduces their lifetime.  This is well known in the
> ThinkPad communities.

Thanks for the heads up (no pun intended), reading more about this now on
ThinkWiki [1].

[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_use_of_Harddisk_Power_Management_features

Regards,

John