Re: Random display freezes [was: Less responsive input...blind-typing]

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012, John Magolske wrote:
> I edited /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf and changed this line [1] :
>     BATT_HD_POWERMGMT=1

Yikes, that kills HDDs!

> I suppose battery life will take a hit...guess the tradeoff here is a
> stuttering user-interface vs. battery life. Sooner or later I'll have

Your HDD will be MUCH happier with a value of 254, unless you're into
kicking the crap out of your box (when a value of 1 is much safer, since
the HDD will race to unload heads and thus chances will be higher that
the heads will be better secured against sudden impacts).

>     A low value means aggressive power management and a high value
>     means better performance. Possible settings range from values
>     1 through 127 (which permit spin-down), and values 128 through
>     254 (which do not permit spin-down). The highest degree of power
>     management is attained with a setting of 1, and the highest I/O
>     performance with a setting of 254. A value of 255 tells hdparm to
>     disable Advanced Power Management altogether on the drive

Aggressive power management causes laptop HDDs to unload heads way too
often, which greatly reduces their lifetime.  This is well known in the
ThinkPad communities.

  Henrique Holschuh