Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

On 06/05/2012 04:01 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 12:52 +0530, Harshad Joshi wrote:
i was reading this article -  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html
[snip]
Will Debian community fight against this evil step taken by computer
makers ?
[snip]
IIUC this only will effect multi-boots, when at least one OS is
Microsoft ex Windows 8 [1]? If so, who cares?

- Ralf
I think you understand this INcorrectly! If _I_ understand it, the machine will not boot anything that is not signed with the key, unless you go to the bios and disable the UEFI--which may be made difficult on purpose, I would guess. Note that this will make bootable CDs and useful things like partition managers impossible. Thank Microsoft!
--doug

--doug
[1]

"Note that this currently only applies to machines certified with the
Windows 8 "Client" logo."

"Don't pay MS for key-signing. This means that a user has to enter the
BIOS *once* to get Linux installed. Big Deal."