sl-modem-daemon forces off-hook all the time

Well, as soon as I solve one problem another one pops up.

Running Linux is like playing whack-a-mole. For some reason
the sl-modem-daemon on my system has started forcing the
phone line off-hook at all times. This means it will cause the

phone line to shut down until you disconnect the phone wire

to let the system reset. I don't recall changing anything about
the sl-modem-daemon, or even the sound system. So why

would it start doing that? Time to go hunting through more
config files...