Re: Programs for direct friend-to-friend file transfer?

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 21:07:15 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> here's another interesting one:
> http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/woof.html
>
>  From the description:
>
> -------
> Woof (Web Offer One File) tries a different approach. It assumes that
> everybody has a web-browser or a commandline web-client installed.
> Woof is a small simple stupid webserver that can easily be invoked on
> a single file. Your partner can access the file with tools he trusts
> (e.g. wget). No need to enter passwords on keyboards where you don't
> know about keyboard sniffers, no need to start a huge lot of
> infrastructure, just do a
>
>       $ woof filename
>
> and tell the recipient the URL woof spits out. When he got that file,
> woof will quit and everything is done.
> ----------
>
> Requires Python to run, and obviously needs to run on a machine where
> people can access the resulting URL (DNS listing, IP address
> accessible to the outside world, etc.).

Woof is excellent! Woof's also in the debian package repositories, as
is fex (from your previous message). Thank you for finding these, try
as I might I was unable to find any programs that do this from my own
searches.

Someone in another area of the thread commented that I wanted to "send"
a file rather than make one available for download... I should have
known I'd have to be much more explicit and precise with this crowd. ;)
Yes, the XKCD you posted sums up what I've found kind of silly for
years. Thanks again!

My next step is taking my now-unused domain name and pointing it to my
IP! :)

- --
Aubrey

"There are two types of people in the world: those who
  can extrapolate from incomplete data."