Re: Programs for direct friend-to-friend file transfer?

On Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 15:16:19 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

> Yes. A "proper" server (http, ftp, ssh) would satisfy this requirement
> but you've excluded those with #1, #2. If your PCs can have Internet
> facing ports configured, I'd go for ssh/rsync every time.

I have a similar, if not exactly the same, requirement as the OP. My
daughter has a desire for a bit of entertainment every so often. She
types http://my_IP:8000 in her browser (https is also available), gets a
directory listing, inputs a username and password and downloads the file
she wants. A quick process, using a familiar, no fuss routine. The URL
is also bookmarked.

There appears to be no advantage in using sshd in this situation. The
idea of having to guide her through configuring a router and using ssh
(on a Windows machine, incidentally) doesn't bear thinking about for one
thing.