Re: Re (2): Computer case

On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 04:04 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> The mounting holes are the same dimensions.  But the server chassis must
> be designed for dog ear mounting.  Many/most today are designed for
> slide rail use, meaning the dog ears alone aren't strong enough to
> support the chassis.  Most generic 4U and larger chassis can be dog ear
> mounted just fine.  2U/3U units will tend to bend/sag where ears attach
> to the chassis, and nobody should ever consider dog ear mounting a 1U
> chassis.

Around 4U is the wide of a tower. I guess the mobo and cards only fit to
4U high, even 3U might be to small.

Perhaps a 19" case idea isn't good due to the cooling, OTOH just small
sidewalls (equivalent to a tower's base and top) are surrounded by the
cabinet/rack walls. Above and below the 19" computer case I could keep
many units empty, which also might be needed regarding to shielding
issues, when mounted to an audio cabinet/rack.