Re: Re (2): Computer case

On 6/2/2012 2:26 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 01:12 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Keep the discussion grounded in reality folks.  He's asking for
>> information on workstation (desktop/side) PC cases.
>>
>> Anything in the cPCI/industrial realm will quadruple the price and noise
>> level, and limit choice of mobos, expansion boards, CPU boards, etc.
>
> I agree, especially since I'll keep my mobo and cards.
>
>> Not to mention it's all racked gear.  So he'll need a rack as well.
>
> A 19" rack is something I'll buy. As long as 19" computer cases will fit
> to 19" music racks it would be ok.

The mounting holes are the same dimensions.  But the server chassis must
be designed for dog ear mounting.  Many/most today are designed for
slide rail use, meaning the dog ears alone aren't strong enough to
support the chassis.  Most generic 4U and larger chassis can be dog ear
mounted just fine.  2U/3U units will tend to bend/sag where ears attach
to the chassis, and nobody should ever consider dog ear mounting a 1U
chassis.

--
Stan