Re: Web browser gets slow and blocks the system

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>>> 1/ Have you experienced the problem when running another applications
>>> (different than the browser)
>>
>> No, never: it only happens with the web browser.
>
> Okay.

[...]

>>> 6/ How much RAM has your system and what says "free -m" when you launch
>>> the browser?
>>
>> Before launching the browser, the command `free -m' gives something
>> like:
>>
>> $ free -m
>>              total       used       free     shared    buffers   cached
>> Mem:           216        154         62          0          6      61
>> -/+ buffers/cache:         85        130
>> Swap:            0          0          0
>
> Wow... 216 MB of ram and you have _no swap_? That's suicide...

When I parted the hard disk, I remeber leaving about 1 gigabite swap, and in
fact here it is from `parted':

# parted
GNU Parted 1.8.8
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) p
Model: ATA SAMSUNG MP0402H (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 40.1GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  8390MB  8390MB  primary   fat32        boot
 2      8390MB  40.1GB  31.7GB  extended               lba
 5      8390MB  9434MB  1045MB  logical   linux-swap
 6      9434MB  21.0GB  11.5GB  logical   ext3
 7      21.0GB  26.2GB  5239MB  logical   ext3
 8      26.2GB  40.1GB  13.8GB  logical   ext3

I don't know why it does not figure in `free -m', but it is there.

> And 130 MB of available ram. It looks too low.
>
>> , whereas, when `mozilla' is running, it gives:
>>
>> $ free -m
>>              total       used       free     shared    buffers    cached
>> Mem:           216        208          8          0          0     20
>> -/+ buffers/cache:        187         28
>> Swap:            0          0          0
>
> What the...!!! >:-O
>
> How can you pretend to run your system with as little as 28 MB of
> available ram? You are likey running out of memory, so either add
> more ram (this is highly recommended) or use a ligthweight desktop/
> window manager with programs that are not as resource and memory
> hungry as iceweasel is.

Do you think it is possible to work it out using a lighter desktop manager?
But why didn't the problem occur before in the past?  It has become heavy only
recently, and the machine is always the same.

Thanks for your help
Rodolfo