Re: laptop battery cycling

On Sun, 27 May 2012 18:37:49 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> For the record, I'm running a Lenovo T420i with a 6 cell battery.
>
> In the past I've been told that it's bad practice to run a laptop on AC
> with the battery installed because it would cause reduced battery
> capacity. This raises two questions. First, is it true that laptop
> batteries don't have overcharge protection, and second, how many cycles
> is a battery like mine good for?

There's a true I've experienced when it comes to all sort of batteries
(lithium, polymer, lead acid based...): they degrade very quickly so
forget about what would be the correct cycles and buy a new battery every
4/5 years; may be the Mother Earth won't be happy with that choice but
your devices will thank.

Still waiting for a "true battery" to be developed >:-)

A good source to get more info on this:

http://batteryuniversity.com/

Greetings,

--