Re: laptop battery cycling

Robert Holtzman wrote at 2012-05-27 20:37 -0500:
> how many cycles is a battery like mine good for?

If your laptop supports SMAPI, *use it*.  In my opinion, it *really* helps
increase the lifespan of the battery.  It is unfortunate that more devices do
not support SMAPI or an equivalent.

My battery remains in my laptop all the time (and so remains at least warm
most of the time), and my laptop is connected to AC power most of the time
(except for when suspended and moving).  I have configured SMAPI with a
stop_charge_thresh of about 85 and start_charge_thresh of about 40.  This
means that the battery never fully charges or discharges, and that often when
I connect to AC power it remains idle rather than charging.  I do change the
settings once every year or 2 in order to "recalibrate the battery gauges".

I purchased the laptop (and battery) in 2007; the battery will soon be 5
years old.  The first_use_date is 2007-08.  The cycle count is 446 and the
design_capacity divided by last_full_capacity is about 80%.