Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Sat, 26 May 2012 17:48:41 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 26 May 2012 at 15:53:03 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:26:34 +0100, Brian wrote:

>> > I have a feeling you may have returned to "PostScript is a raw
>> > language, no conversion is needed between the doc and the printer . .
>> > . ." idea. Hope I'm wrong.
>>
>> No, you're not, . . .
>
> Taking this statement, and the previous one, it is evident you are
> basing an argument on the behaviour of a filtering method in CUPS which
> has not existed in Debian (and Redhat and Suse) for at least three
> years. We have different understandings, which make it impossible to
> compare two different conclusions in a meaningful way. Basically, a
> conclusion derived from a view of reality which is wrong is without any
> validity.

This is not a Debian specific behavior nor related to how CUPS works in
different distributions. It's about the difference between a PostScript
driver/printer and PCL (or another printer languages), and the
differences are *huge*.

> . . .  but this is not going to help the OP to solve his problem.
>
> He can make his own mind up on that. I'd like think there is enough in
> this thread to get him started.

Let's hope so.

Greetings,

--