Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri, 25 May 2012 16:45:06 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 25 May 2012 at 15:18:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:05:15 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>>
>> > And I am not sure, but I seem to remember that it used to be PS that
>> > was the default.
>>
>> A postscript printer will be happier with a postcript driver though in
>> linux you will experience a noticeable delay when using a PS driver for
>> printing complex documents.
>
> The native language of the printer is PCL but it also has a PostScript
> interpreter. It is happy to be given a file in either language.

PostScript is a raw language, no conversion is needed between the doc and
the printer, that's why is better  that PCL (should the printer includes
native support for it) although I use the latter because is faster.

>> > Anyway, with PS I have the same problem. I suspect that some machine
>> >-dependent file is not correct. I have compared (the size of) the
>> >files
>> > on both disks that are in the deb files and they seem to be the same.
>>
>> Have you tried by converting the PDF file to a PS? And what happens
>> with a different PDF file or the error happens with *any* PDF file?
>
> The first thing CUPS will do when it sees the PS file is convert it to
> PDF, so I'm not sure that will tell us anything interesting. However, it
> would be good to know whether the same difference in behaviour happens
> with other files.

I have experienced a similar problem when printing PDF files that were
badly or poorly encoded. Converting the files to a different
"language" (thus avoinding the source of the error) solved the problem.
But that can happen only for specific-crafted PDF files so YMMV depending
on the application it was used to generate the PDF files.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón