Re: Broken cups.

On Fri 25 May 2012 at 16:09:23 -0500, Ed Siefker wrote:

> I am unable to print on my HP 1300n.   I have cups installed, along
> with hpijs and hplip.  I will append an actual list of packages to
> this email.   My user is a member of both groups 'lp' and 'lpadmin'.
> Dmesg identifies my printer as "usb 5-2", and the device entry looks
> like this:
>
> crw-rw-r-T+ 1 root lp 189, 516 May 25 15:54 /dev/bus/usb/005/002

What Debian version are you using and is it up-to-date? Has this printer
ever worked for you and, if so, when did the problem start? Is using
hpijs and hplip a necessity for you? I can understand why your user is
in group lpadmin but not why he is group lp. Is there a reason for that?

> When I send a job to this printer, it claims to work.  It processes N
> pages (where N is the number of pages in the print job) and returns to
> Idle - "ready to print" status.  This is a complete lie.  Nothing is
> printed and no error messages are emitted.

Monitor /var/spool/cups before and after printing. Are there any changes
in its contents? Look at /var/log/cups/error_log. Anything you would
class as unusual there? Increase the verbosity of the log by putting
'LogLevel debug' in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.