Broken cups.

I am unable to print on my HP 1300n.   I have cups installed, along
with hpijs and hplip.
I will append an actual list of packages to this email.   My user is a
member of both
groups 'lp' and 'lpadmin'.   Dmesg identifies my printer as "usb 5-2",
and the device
entry looks like this:

crw-rw-r-T+ 1 root lp 189, 516 May 25 15:54 /dev/bus/usb/005/002

I have an HP2575 connected through the network.  I can print on this
printer perfectly.
My HP1300n is connected by USB.  I cannot print to this printer at all.

If I delete my 1300n from cups and physically restart the printer, I
get an entry
added automatically to my list.  Cups claims that the "make and model" is
"HP LaserJet 1300n pcl3, hpcups 3.12.2".

When I send a job to this printer, it claims to work.  It processes N pages
(where N is the number of pages in the print job) and returns to Idle
- "ready to print"
status.  This is a complete lie.  Nothing is printed and no error messages
are emitted.

If I delete this printer and physically restart the printer, I get the
same automatic
entry in Cups.  So I tried deleting the printer, not restarting it,
and adding it
with hp-setup.

When I do this I get an entry in Cups with the "make and model" of
"HP LaserJet 1300n hpijs pcl3, 3.12.2".  Printing to this printer is
also unsuccessful.
However the failure mode is different.  When I print to this device
the printer state reports "processing since [date]".  Cups refreshes
this page forever without making any progress.

I have tried just about everything.  I have removed and reinstalled this printer
dozens of times.  I have ensured that my permissions are correct.
I have tried every PPD that could possibly work on my printer.
Nothing works, and worse that that, nothing even emits an error message
I could use to track down the problem.

What is going on here? How can I get more information to help track
this down?  Should I be discussing this here or should I take it
to the cups developers?

As promised, here is the list of relevant selections from dpkg:

$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -E cups\|hp
configure-cups					install
cups						install
cups-bsd					install
cups-client					install