Re: Code of conduct (was ... Re: need help on using ffmpeg for video grab)

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:48:49PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 22 mai 12, 02:49:23, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I don't see it that way. I don't see debian-user as <italic>the first
> > "port of call" and if you don't get any help ***THEN*** google and try
> > to find out where the ***ACTUAL*** place to get support is.</italic>
>
> IMVHO it is entirely apropiate for somebody to ask questions to a
> specific application packaged for Debian given that the Debian package
> may be patched or compiled different than the standard options.

Good point. Although you find out soon enough about that sort of thing
from the other users.

> Also, some upstreams are even quite hostile to The Debian Way (tm)
> regarding stable releases and the first advice might be to compile the
> latest version. Even if running sid you may be a few releases behind[1].

If you think you've found a bug sure, you'll normally get asked to
compile against latest git/svn/cvs to see if it still exists. The Debian
BTS also has bugs which are signed off "as we believe the bug is fixed in
the latest upload ... etc."

Not to sure about "hostile to The Debian Way (tm)", I know the exim
developers and I think the Ruby developers are like that.

But for general usage questions, tips, etc, you can't really beat the actual
mailing list for the program.

> Add to this that even the general Debian[2] advice is to report bugs in
> the Debian BTS and let the maintainer forward bugs upstream if needed.

Yeah, for bugs, but I'm referring to general usage questions.

> [1] but I do expect sid users to be able to help themselves :)
> [2] except packages that are prone to receive *a lot* of bug reports,
> like Gnome, KDE, Iceweasel, etc.

Apparently they're "swamped" with unhelpful bug reports. :(

oppressing." --- Malcolm X