Re: Waiting for xserver to begin looking for connections........

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 02:18:46PM +1000, charlie wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2012 05:44:43 +1200
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > For a start, please post exact output of following commands.
> >
> > -------------
> > ls -al .x*
>
> -rwxr--r-- 1 charlie charlie     1273 Feb 10 16:29 .xdvirc
> -rwxr--r-- 1 charlie charlie      737 May 22 09:45 .xsession
> -rwxr--r-- 1 charlie charlie      690 May 13 15:54 .xsession~
> -rw------- 1 charlie charlie 14557184 May 21 16:25 .xsession-errors

Any clues in .xsession-errors? (Please don't send it to the list, its
too big.)

To clear a logfile safely type:
:> logfile

> > grep -v \^# .xsessionrc
>
> No such file

rename .xsession as .xsessionrc and then try again.

FYI
(If I rename my .xsessionrc as .xsession, startx doesn't work, it bails
out and I end back at the console)

> > startx
> Does nothing

> > grep \(EE\) /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

The idea is to get a log of the faulty session.

1) startx as user.
2) When fails, reboot.
3) Don't startx as root, but become root and then type:

grep \(EE\) /var/log/Xorg.0.log

This should show the log errors of the just failed session.

> Hope this is what you wanted. I made the spaces in the last entry.

Mmmm, looks like same chipset as mine, although I've an old DELL inspiron.

I hope you didn't copy it down by hand?

You can redirect output to a file like so:

lspci -vv | grep VGA > lspci-output.txt

and then just attach lspci-output.txt to the email.

Have you altered/edited any configurations under /etc/X11/?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X