Re: Swap space not used

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

<snip>

When I installed it, I had a swap partition of about 40GB set up, as
is shown by gparted.

Did you chose this large swap or was it done automatically? My
installs / + /home have around 20 or 30 GB only. Of cause, for audio
productions I have separated, large partitions.

I chose the swap partition size.

I reasoned that I have (what I regard as) a massively large hard drive capacity, so I might as well use it to help system stability, by providing a large amount of swap space.

Is your Debian a regular Debian? IOW did you download the image from the
Internet or did you use a DVD from a computer magazine?
At least German computer magazines often have broken versions of distros
as a supplement.

My Debian was installed from downloaded iso images. I think it was from Debian 6.03, but I am not sure of the fractional version number component. I believe that it was an official Debian version, from the debian.org downloads web site, but I am not sure. If some utility existed that would display the source of an iso image, and the full version number of the source iso image, it would be good.

Perhaps, on installation, the creation of a file to store the original information about the installation (iso image source, full version number and date of version, etc), that could be retrieved any time during the life of the particular installation, would be useful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."