Re: unix tool as precise counter/timer for periodic print/exec

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 10:20:11AM +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a unix tool that does nothing else than increment and
> print an integer with a fixed frequency. As a bonus it should be able to
> execute a command with a fixed frequency. The special requirement: it
> should precise in the interval.

I'm not entirely sure if such a tool exists, but one thing you will need
to bear in mind is that you will need to make sure you're running a
real-time kernel (apt-cache search linux-image-rt). This will allow you
to run your look with real-time priority. If you don't have real-time
priority, then you basically have no way of ensuring that you will be
able to run print_counter at the specified time - you could always get
delayed because the kernel is writing to disk or some other process is
doing work.