Re: [OT] Posting styles

On 09/04/12 00:32, PMA wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 08/04/12 23:54, PMA wrote:
>> <snipped>
>>
>>> I was caught up thinking how a personal signature -- choosing in a
>>> given instance to enter it or not -- can affect a message's import,
>>> separately from the issue of verification.
>>
>> Oh good - I couldn't get my head around it when applied to a digital
>> signature used to show the post had not been modified since sending, and
>> was sent by the person claiming to have sent it.
>
> I sense I'm willfully misunderstood, but in any case am dropping this
> issue.

>>> I have no wish to ignore the convention.  My memory's failing some.
>>> I'll attune better to *which* posting convention (list) I find myself
>>> in.
>>
>> My bad - I'd mistaken you for someone trolling the "it's not a rule"
>> "let's vote on it" line :-(
>
> That was *not* trolling.

Which part of "my bad - I'd mistaken you for someone trolling" did you
not understand?  You're too quick to claim offence.

>  The LilyPond list (a digital-music-scoring site)
> had been debating just this top/bottom posting-style issue, and had
> fielded exactly this suggestion -- a vote among the list members.

Maybe on that site the list votes on how the list is run. Though it
sounds like the tail wagging the dog...

On Debian it's usually developers who vote - and the posting style on
this and other debian lists has been debated for almost twenty years
that I'm aware of. People are still free to post as they wish - but I
don't remember the last time I saw a useful response from anyone who
didn't have a preference for interleaved posting style (even if
sometimes they refer to it as bottom posting, with a straight face)

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-