Re: [OT] Posting styles

On 08/04/12 00:46, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 07 April 2012 15:21:44 Indulekha wrote:
>> In linux.debian.user, Richard <richard@g8jvm.com> wrote:
>>> The other thing Mika, apart from that huge chunk of signature, why on
>>> earth ask for a return receipt.
>
>> It does tend to announce to the recipient that the sender has
>> a wildly exaggerated sense of self-importance, which I suppose
>> could be construed as useful. :)
>
> I am very wary of requests for return receipts:  it is/would be a very good
> way for a bot to identify which of the email addresses it had generated were
> valid.  I never (I hope!) send them.
>
> Lisi

Sound logic.

I use them occasionally for business - it's sometimes useful to know who
reads mail, when, and whether it's read or deleted without reading.

And I've made the mistake of accidentally sending a post to a list with
a request for a return receipt. I *still* get receipts from that error -
educational as to how often posts are republished, but almost as
annoying for me as it is for the unintended recipients.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-