Re: correct English usage

Dotan - this was sent to you off-list when you wrote to me off-list, to try
and preempt one of your interminable off-list bullying threads.  If you don't
remember doing that to me, then you have a very short memory.

On Wednesday 04 April 2012 21:07:35 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:21, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 April 2012 14:41:48 you wrote:
> >> Colloquial English is liberal to change, but software manuals should
> >> not be written in colloquial English. There is a more professional
> >> language that should be used in manuals.
> >
> > You are being deliberately perverse.
>
> Am I? I just bothered to look up the names of English writing styles.
> I do not claim to be an English language expert, but I can identify
> problems when they are obvious enough. There exists a writing style
> called "technical" and if a manual writer cannot manage that, then he
> should err on the side of formal, not casual, in my opinion. That
> said, many FOSS manuals and UI elements are written in the casual or
> even in street vernacular.
>
> > O.K., let's just accept that you are
> > right because you always are, and you know more about English than
> > educated native English speakers.
>
> A personal attack! I love that, as Thatcher had observed obviously you
> cannot refute my logic so you try to discredit my person. I did not
> even realize that this was an argument, rather I thought it was a
> discussion. I won't participate in an online argument. If you would
> like to discuss, then I value your opinion.
>
> > If your English were as good as you claim, you would understand what I am
> > talking about.  I am not talking about colloquial English.
>
> The onus is on me to decipher your hints and allusions? Furthermore, I
> recall no claims of my own to any level of English proficiency.

> >> I agree that obscure meanings should be avoided just as slang should
> >> be. But the real problem is grammar.
> >
> > No, it's not.  Grammar changes as words do.  I still use the present
> > subjunctive when talking English.  I am putting effort into trying to
> > stop because the present subjunctive is obsolete, and was almost so when
> > I was young.  The imperfect subjunctive is showing signs of disappearing
> > now.
>
> Thank you for the big scary words. I happen to actually understand
> them, but as they are an attempt to subvert and filibuster the
> discussion (or was it an argument) I'll ignore them.

Nonsense.  They are entirely germain to an argument in which you are talking
about grammar.  And yes, whne oyu flatky contradict soemone taht is an
argument not a discussion.

> Although I do
> agree that a passive tense is preferable to an imperative tense in
> regard to technical writing, the specifics of it might as well be at
> the author's discretion so long as the writing style does not digress
> to casual.
>
> > There is no point in arguing with you.  You are so convinced of your own
> > perfection that you do not even bother to read what other people are
> > saying.
>
> Another personal attack, putting words in my mouth (I never said that
> I was perfect) and then refuting them. I believe that there is a term
> for that. Like your ad hominem attack above, that is a sign of one who
> is loosing an argument. I suggest that you keep this a conversation,
> not an argument, since despite your impressive knowledge of English
> tenses you seem to have ignored the finer points of arguing.
>
> > If you ever get to the stage of considering the possibility that you just
> > might be wrong, you might like to consider that your English is far from
> > perfect, and it is wrong in the wrong ways.
>
> If I thought that I was right, I would not participate in this
> discussion. I happen to enjoy learning. You probably have something to
> teach me, but you prefer to insult and attack me. I wonder why that
> is.
>
> >> By the way, where did I swear?
> >
> > I'm not repeating it.  It is unpleasant and unnecessary.  Your English
> > is, after all, perfect.  Why do you need me to tell you what you have
> > said?
>
> I see. Another red herring. I should have recognized it.
>
> > You are insufferable, Dotan.  I think you are the most self-opinionated
> > person I have ever come across.  You are talking nonsense where English
> > is concerned.  Go and vent your omniscience on someone else.
>
> Will do. I wish to you a peaceful life. Should you ever feel to be
> civil towards me, I will happily reengage discussion with you.

In the past, you have only bullied me.  Why would I expect you to change now?

Lisi