Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude

Am Montag, 2. April 2012 schrieb Andrei POPESCU:
> On Lu, 02 apr 12, 17:32:44, Lisi wrote:
> > On Monday 02 April 2012 10:48:24 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > > I'd suggest this instead:
> > >
> > >     Note that apt-get now installs recommended packages by default
> > > and is, for its robustness, the preferred program for package
> > > management from console, to perform system installation, and major
> > > system upgrades to releases as of Squeeze.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > That isn't how I had understood things - though I feel that you are
> > more likely to be right on this than I am.  As I had understood it,
> > we have gone from aptitude being recommended for everything, to
> > apt-get being recommended for major upgrades and the two of them
> > being equal for day to day use at the command line.
>
> As I understand it the latest recommendation is to use apt-get from
> command line and aptitude interactively.
>
> As it happens I'm doing just that:
> - on stable machines I usually just install or purge one or the other
>   package and apply security updates. apt-get is a bit faster for such
>   simple operations
> - on the sid install on my laptop I always have aptitude running
> because I upgrade very often, but also lookup (new) packages, etc. and
> aptitude's interactive mode is *very* useful when dealing with sid

I tend to use apt-get these days, unless the solution it offers me for some
conflict resolution it offers me it not suitable for my taste. Then I try
aptitude.

I use aptitude interactively from time to time to clean up stuff. But I find
that aptitude sometimes is quite confused and wants to install packages
again that I removed with apt-get. Meanwhile I usually do a

aptitude keep-all

prior to starting it interactively.

I thought aptitude and apt-get would share the same state, but it seems
that still holds not true for everything.

Another thing is aptitude hold/unhold which apt-get did not use last time
I tried. The other way around via dpkg --set-selections seems to work in
apt-get and aptitude tough.