Re: DVD and *.flv playback is jerky on VLC

On 28/03/12 13:25, Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:43:19 +1100
Scott Ferguson<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com>  wrote:

On 28/03/12 21:11, AG wrote:
Hi

I've noticed, using Debian stable, that DVD and *.flv
flv in unindexed, so can be a problem in itself.

  playback tends to
be jerky.  That is, the motion of the actors, etc., seems to jump in
short but noticeable ways, as if the playback is dropping several frames
and picking it up again.  The sound track is fine, no jumps, but the
movement on screen does seem to be a little jerky.  It doesn't seem to
happen on other media players, or at least isn't as noticeable.

As a VLC novice, how do I address this? Any pointers for me to look at,
and if so, what *should* I be paying attention to?
Could be that your dropping frames for some reason.
Start the movie with VLC then press Ctrl+M to bring up the Messages dialog.
Also check dmesg | tail.
The info from those should help the list diagnose the problem.

Also some box specs will be useful.

You can of course rule out the DVD read by copying one of the VOBs to
the hard drive and viewing it from there with VLC.
You can also try playback using a different application, such as
mplayer, to see if your problem is VLC specific. Mplayer gives a big
fat warning when it thinks your hardware isn't up to the task of
playing a given media file.

Celejar

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I've done a few tests now and this is what I've found:

(1) As far as I can make out, only VLC seems to have this problem
(2) Opening VLC and running ctrl+m as suggested yields the following output with verbosity level set at 2 (this is just a small sample):

xcb_xvdebug: display is visible

mainwarning: late picture skipped (27445 > -45)

xcb_xvdebug: display is visible

mainwarning: late picture skipped (87793 > -44)

mainwarning: late picture skipped (53793 > -44)

mainwarning: late picture skipped (20793 > -44)

mainwarning: late picture skipped (61865 > -41)

mainwarning: late picture skipped (28865 > -41)

xcb_xvdebug: display is visible

mainwarning: late picture skipped (54076 > -56)

mainwarning: late picture skipped (20076 > -56)

mainwarning: late picture skipped (87076 > -56)

mainwarning: resampling stopped after 14417235 usec (drift: 37)

(3) This problem seems to occur for all DVDs and downloaded *.flv videos

So, does this help debug the issue?  What settings am I looking at tweaking?

Thanks for any help.

AG