Re: OT: change of mail provider

Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:29:51 -0500, Indulekha wrote:
>
>> In linux.debian.user, Camaleón wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't use Gmail's webmail but Mutt and Pan (newsreader).
>>>

>> Me too, except it's mutt and slrn. The mail for my domains is hosted by
>> gmail for four years now, never had any trouble beyond an outage that
>> lasted about four hours once.
>
> Yes, and that's precisely what makes me doubt for migrating to another
> provider: Gmail's reliability is very good.
>
> I first used my ISP e-mail facility (@telefonica.net) but it had (has?)
> two big problems:
>
> 1/ Their e-mail service is very poor (timed based pop3 logins, smtp
> service slow and more than often their e-mail servers are down/
> unaccessible, in brief, a very unreliable service).
>
> 2/ The e-mail service is binded to their phone line services which means
> that if you stop using their DSL or land line service you also lose the e-
> mail address. Too bad.
>
> But Google services are starting to worrying me because they want to
> control almost any aspect of what you do and how it has to be done.
> Although I know how to prevent being tracked I don't like that policy so
> much, it's a matter of principles :-)

No doubt there is plenty of cause for concern regarding Google's services,
but for me it's still the easiest and most reliable solution. I do wish
there were other, less intrusive options, but living in a remote area and
having dialup as the only way to connect (we don't even get a cell signal
out here) does restrict one just a bit.

Ah well, it's the price we pay for serenity.
:)

--
 Indulekha