Re: No sound with new install

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 02:29:56PM +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> well, as showed from aplay -l your model is : ALC887-VD
> `cd /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver` and `gunzip HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz`
>
> open HD-Audio-Models.txt with your favourite text editor/viewer, rows
> [128..153] they seems to match your model (-VD apart), have a try according
> to your computer and/or souncard and/or board
>
> I see your card has an spdif so I would guess one of
>
> 3stack-dig
> 6stack-dig
> 3stack-6ch-dig
> 3stack-6ch-intel
>
> remember to reload alsa after each change (service alsa-utils restart)

Thanks alot for the clear advice. Unfortunately none of those made a
jot of difference, and nor did trying the other most obvious
candidates from the models list.

I found the motherboard model this soundcard is attached to online;
http://www.gigabyte.tw/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4091#sp - and
it does indeed list it as a Realtek ALC887 High Definition Audio
device.

I suppose I could try the external Realtek driver pointed to from
the 'Alternative Method' section of the Alsa wiki page, but as I
mentioned earlier I'd far rather find a proper solution to the
problem (particularly because I want to use a fully mainline or
debian-maintained kernel).

Anybody have any other suggestions?