Re: No sound with new install

2012/4/2 Nick White <nick.white@durham.ac.uk>
On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:16:12PM +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> Have a look at  /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/
> there are lots of info about hd models (install alsa-base if you don't)
>
> look for your souncard model infod in the relevant files and the specify
> your model in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf using
>
> options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL

Thanks Raffaele. Is there a good way of finding out the model of
soundcard in my computer, without taking the case off (possible, but
not ideal)?

well, as showed from aplay -l your model is : ALC887-VD
`cd /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver` and `gunzip HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz`

open HD-Audio-Models.txt with your favourite text editor/viewer, rows [128..153] they seems to match your model (-VD apart), have a try according to your computer and/or souncard and/or board

I see your card has an spdif so I would guess one of

3stack-dig
6stack-dig
3stack-6ch-dig
3stack-6ch-intel

remember to reload alsa after each change (service alsa-utils restart)

-r

--
L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla protesta violenta e viscerale. (V. Evangelisti)