Re: Network-manager woes (wifi)

Hans-J. Ullrich,  4.03.2012:
> Hello!
>
> I have a selfmade working network connection now for many, many years. The
> files /etc/network/onterfaces and /etc/resolv.conf are manually edited by me.
>
> In earlier times resolv.conf was a link to somewhere, but I forgot, to where.
> It is now a static file.
>
> But now I want to test, how Networkmanager is working. So, what is the best
> debian way to get a fresh file "interfaces". Which entries are containing in
> interfaces as default? I am using eth0 and wlan0 at the moment.
>
> I have Networkmanager already installed, but changed nothing in its config.
>
> If Networkmanager will fail, of course I can restore resolv.conf and
> interfaces at every time.
>
> Maybe someone already has unconfigured files and might send them to me or just
> take a look.

I use static IP on eth0, and both dynamic and static on wlan0, depending
on where I am.  My eth0 configuration is in /etc/network/interfaces and
the rest was specified using nm-applet.  Network Manager also manages
eth0 according to /e/n/i, so I can turn it on/off using nm-applet and it
shows when the cable's plugged in or out.

Here's /e/n/i:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
	address 123.123.123.22
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 123.123.123.0
	broadcast 123.123.123.255
	gateway 123.123.123.1
	# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
	dns-nameservers 123.123.124.125 123.123.145.156

(I changed the addresses above to fictional ones.  I also remember
reading on this list several times that nowadays you only need one or
two of netmask/network/broadcast/gateway to be specified, but I just
kept my old settings.)

The settings for wireless were entered in using nm-applet, so I'm not
sending any files.

You also need to tell Network Manager that it should take care of eth0
but according to the settings in /e/n/i.  You do this by editing
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true