Re: Desktop icons missing

On 03/03/12 01:48 PM, Charles Krinke wrote:
Dear Frank:

Maybe my issue is I dont quite get what you are saying. There is no
gconf-editor program. I can see a gconftool program, but dont know how
to enable the Desktop programs to be displayed or even if this is the
right tool.

  Didn't we just deal with this ? If you're running gnome-classic, the
desktop icons are handled by nautilus. Gnome 3 doesn't
have desktop icons

If you are running Gnome-classic, AND there are desktop files in ~/Desktop, go into a terminal and run "nautilus -n". You then should have desktop icons. Log out, and log back in. They should be there still. If it doesn't work, in a terminal window again run "gconf-editor". look in the /apps/nautilus/preferences key. Make sure "show_desktop" is checked.
exit gconf-editor. You should have icons on the desktop.

If you don't have the gconf-editor in a root terminal run "aptitude install gconf-editor"

That's what works here in gnome-classic.

--
Cheers
Frank