Re: detect/probe the physical connected state of a network cable

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 23:29:45 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> Once I disabled the wireless and plugged in the cable.
>
> How exactly did you disable the wireless? Was the ethernet cable already
> plugged at that time? Was eth0 up?

There is some bars (which indicates the strength of the wireless),
right click there is disconnect option, so ...

sometimes it didn't plug in, while sometimes it plugged in, not worked
(I felt the patience and retry plug in can get rewards at that
situation) , so I enabled the wireless again.

I am not sure how to tell eth0 up or down.

>> Seems it's not sensitive. I needed plug out and re-plug in,
>>
>> Which commands can be used to let the laptop to detect the connection of
>> cable?
>
> (...)
>
> What controls you networking stuff, "ifup" or "network-manager"?
$ dpkg --get-selections | grep network
gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0			install
glib-networking					install
glib-networking-common				install
glib-networking-services			install
libqt4-network					install
network-manager					install
network-manager-gnome				install

> Anyway, check your "/etc/network/interfaces" for "allow-hotplug eth0"

# more /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

> stanza. Also, review the messages with "tail -f /var/log/syslog" and

wow, after disconnect the wireless, unplug the cable and replug the
cable, interesting scenario in syslog,

disconnected the wireless first and then plug in worked.

but if it's already plugged in. disconnected the wireless, it's not so
sensitive.

How do the laptop examine whether there is cable connected or not?

Thanks again,

Best wishes,