Eee PC video corrupted on boot

I just got a Eee PC because my Aspire One is only sputtering along.  I
just finished installing Debian squeeze and upgrading from that to
wheezy, and now the screen goes to white noise during boot up.  It is
certainly not X, because the Ctrl+Alt+Fx keys do nothing and, besides,
the "corrupt" video appears when the console resolution is changed,
which is well before X starts.  I tried booting with the kernel option
vga=771, but it didn't make a difference.

Regards,
Aidan Gauland