Re: rsync

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 08:44, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 06:33, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> [2] When I ssh to a server, can I set up the terminal the same as when we
>>> open a tab in termial, it will be in that directory of the present
>>> tab's directory,
>>> can I open a tab in termial, with ssh connected, can it also in that
>>> server's directory, not home directory?
>>
>> Unfortunately that sentence takes few too many twists and turns
>> for me to follow along. It sounds like you are asking about a tabbed
>> terminal being able to open new tabs directly to the same remote
>> server that you are ssh'd into in the first tab.
> Yes.
>>
>> If that is what you are asking, no, it can't be done, at least not with
>> a normal terminal.
> Do you have some ab- normal terminal package in mind?
>

>> Such a thing could be written perhaps, if you had passwordless
>> ssh keys or used ssh-agent to remember the key for a time.
>
> It's a password-exemption ssh.

I do not know of such a terminal. If it does exist, I have not heard
of it, but it is probably doable (though passing the server's
current working directory back to the client might be tricky).

The closest I know of is what Keith suggested: connect to
the server, then on the server run a terminal multiplexer,
like GNU Screen or Tmux

Cheers
Kelly Clowers