Re: Testing Gnome3 Radeon OS complete system freeze

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 11:11, Joost Kraaijeveld
<J.Kraaijeveld@askesis.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run Debian Testing AMD64 with Gnome3 and the Radeon
> OpenSource driver, xserver-xorg-video-radeon. All are the latest
> versions, updated today (9 november 2011).
>
> After some time and always after clicking on an icon or something else
> on the screen my system lock up. It completely freezes, nothing works:
> no alt+F1 , ctrl+alt+del, alt-backspace, and no remote login via ssh.
> The only way to reboot is using the power button (off and than on).
> Using the reset button results in not finding the boot disk anymore. I
> can't find anything in any log file (messages, kernel, debug, daemon)
>
> Does anyone recognises this behaviour, i.e. is it a feature? What could
> I try to diagnose the problem? Anyone any idea as to find the cause, so
> I can file a bug against a package that could be the problem?

I can't help, but I will say I saw that a couple years ago.
Testing/unstable with Radeon, I believe it was, with either Awesome WM
or Fluxbox. I never got very far in diagnosing it, but from what I did do, it
seemed like it was an issue in Xorg (core or driver, I am not sure). If it
is like my situation, using something besides gnome 3 will not help.

At some point the problem downgraded to just locking screen and input,
it would be accessible via ssh or similar. And then after some more
updates, it went away.

With the Intel system I use now, I have had a few times of instability
with crashing or freezing X, but never complete kernel lock, and it
was not as frequent and did not last as long... not sure how
related they might be.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers