Re: Why should starting synaptec peg system resources?

On 21 January 2012 10:55, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> However, if I start synaptic it immediately pegs resources (as viewed
> in `top') around 92-95 percent us.. And there it stays until I close the
> partially open synaptic gui.
>
> At that point the `top' reading drops to 92-95 percent id.
>
> Surely this is quite abnormal... where would I look to start
> debugging?

Has this worked previously? Is it a new problem? Have you tried
reinstalling the Synaptic?

I remember hearing about this previously with an old release Ubuntu a
few years ago. I just had a look and managed to find it. Somebody
suggests deleting /var/run/synaptic.socket. Your mileage may vary, but
here's the bug report - it doesn't sound like it's entirely the same
issue, though.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/218213